WHAT IS IRON??
In this article, we will tell you what is iron? Iron functions, sources of iron, symptoms of iron deficiency and iron deficiency effects.
What is Iron, Iron is a mineral that helps in the formation of hemoglobin, myoglobin and many enzymes and proteins in the body. Iron is found in small amounts in the body but is most important mineral for our body. Iron quantity is different found in men, women and children But iron is not found more than 4 grams in any human. 70% of whole iron in the body is found in hemoglobin. The remaining part is found in the bone marrow, liver, kidneys, spleen and muscular myoglobin. Some parts of the iron are also in the fluid part of the blood and in the enzyme of the cells.
- The hemoglobin present in red blood is made of iron.
- Iron protects the body from infection and hemorrhage.
- In the enzymes of the cells, the substrate is helpful in metabolism of iron, carbohydrate, proteins and fats.
- Iron with proteins provides blood with special colour and correct structure.
- The iron present in the muscle myoglobin stores the oxygen for the movement of the muscles.
- Iron helps oxygen and carbon dioxide to work properly in body.
- Iron functions, also helps to expel carbon dioxide from the body, Which is made up of various physical activity.
EFFECTS OF IRON DEFICIENCY
If there is a shortage of iron in the blood, hemoglobin is not formed, which causes anemia’s condition. According to W.H.O., the level of hemoglobin in the blood of women and children should be 12 mg / 100 mili. Due to its lack-
- Iron deficiency in diet.
- The iron taken by the diet is not completely absorbed in the body.
- Due to the loss of blood during delivery.
- Due to more illness.
- Due to worms or diarrhea in the stomach.
- Due to the loss of blood in their periods in women.
SYMPTOMS OF IRON DEFICIENCY
- regularly hair loss may be a sign of iron deficiency.
- If you have headache everyday then this is also a sign.
- Weakness of the nails.
- feel quickly tired while doing any work.
- Sometimes darkness in front of eyes, dizziness, weakness in body, all these are signs of iron deficiency.
SYMPTOMS OF ANAEMIA
- Body tiredness, weakness when working, headache and dizziness.
- Difficulty in digesting food and weakening of eyes.
- The lack of excessive blood in the body also causes of Anaemia.
- In small children and pregnant women, iron deficiency leads to disease called pica, in which they want to eat clay, lime, sand etc.
DIETARY REQUIREMENTS OF IRON
An adult male requires 28 Mg daily iron. An adult woman and mother require 30 milligrams of iron per day. Children between 10 to 15 years should take 19 to 34 milligrams of iron per day, whereas in juveniles this requirement should be 30 to 50 milligrams per day.
SOURCES OF IRON
- Egg yolk, liver, heart and kidney are the best sources of iron.
- Raisins and jaggery are also the source of iron.
- Green leafy vegetables like- Chawlai, radish leaves, peppermint and fenugreek.
- Iron is also found in coconut, mustard seeds and in coffee.
- Some iron foods- broccoli, black beans, Tofu, Spinach, potatoes, Lentils, Dark chocolate, Pumpkin seeds, Chicken breast, Beef liver.
- Beans, Peas, soyabean, wheat and Rice polish is another sources of Iron.
Also check this- What is calcium??
Today we have given you information about What is Iron, Sources of Iron, Iron functions, Effects of Iron Deficiency etc.. Read entire article and know everything about Iron. If you have also Iron Deficiency then read the sources of iron mentioned in the article and add Iron Rich Foods in your diet.